Our wonderful midwife Gloria ‘in the bush’ at Oberabic Health Centre had a hard night recently. She’s the only midwife there, so has to do most the work that involves mothers and babies, and make all the calls under really difficult circumstances. A miscarriage and a tricky delivery led to a long, intense evening which ended up really well for the mothers and newborn baby. Its hard to overstate what a fantastic job she did under the circumstances.
Apart from being a great story, and example of the great work that goes on at our health centres, this story is a microcosm of the struggles our patients and staff face all the time. Amongst other things Gloria and the patient faced these challenges. Feel free to add your own after watching the video.
– No access to transport to get to a higher level facility
– Poor knowledge of problems around birth, which led to the mother coming in late and not telling Gloria her waters had broke.
– Lack of social support
– Working in the uncomfortable zone above your level of medical expertise
– Having to do everything yourself (sterilise the equipment yourself, after you’ve already completed the delivery)
You might also be interested in these related posts:
- https://nzcms.org.nz/the-mayor-saga-continues/The Mayor Saga ContinuesPosted on by Tessa Laing“He has arrived; he is in office.” Excellent. Against all odds, we have everybody in the same space. Media present? Tick. Religious […] https://nzcms.org.nz/the-mayor-saga-continues/Read more
- https://nzcms.org.nz/the-health-centre-that-wasnt-to-be/The Health Centre That Wasn’t To BePosted on by Nick LaingPhase 1 – Great hope In March, we rode out with our enthusiastic nurse Walter to the frontier town of Elegu on […] https://nzcms.org.nz/the-health-centre-that-wasnt-to-be/Read more
- https://nzcms.org.nz/health-clinics-by-the-numbers/Health Clinics by the NumbersPosted on by Nick LaingWe’re 5 months into the trial of the 4 new clinics, with a total of 12 operational months between the health centres […] https://nzcms.org.nz/health-clinics-by-the-numbers/Read more
- https://nzcms.org.nz/ngos-part-1-pay-your-workers-less/NGOs part 1 – Pay your workers lessPosted on by Nick LaingI don’t usually preface, but in this case it may help people dislike me less. I believe that NGOs go about much […] https://nzcms.org.nz/ngos-part-1-pay-your-workers-less/Read more